The Duomo

The Duomo

Friday, June 22, 2012

1/3 of my feelings are mixed...

It's no secret in my group that I am ok with returning home. It's not that I have been whining a lot or anything like that...but when people ask me, I tell them point-blank that I am glad to go home. So that's the other 2/3. The part of me that has mixed emotions is mainly the part dealing with the NECC crew. I know full well that when we get back tomorrow it won't simply be a case of picking up the "shit phone" (the Nokia to the layperson) and calling each other to walk the 15 minutes, or whatever, to go get a Gelato. That part of me knows that life gets in the way...always. And, that's fairly sad. This small group has grown pretty close, despite the semi-anonamous beginnings. From the very start I was a little apprehensive...big surprise...about there being as many as 17 people going on this trip. Then they told us that there may not be enough to make the trip happen at all; that was interesting. I am very glad that they decided to go ahead with everything despite there being 6 of us. I may not be the poster child for this trip. Others in the group have certainly embraced their lives here much more. Yet, as a social experiment, and having taken my first true photography class, it has been quite an experience. I do wish that the multitude, even plethora, of extra expenses had been better explained to us though. It does get pretty darn expensive here everyday if you aren't careful. Overall, I am glad it is 3 weeks. Sorry people that wish to stay.... I won't miss the Euro, the language barrier, the smells, the tourists, the mosquitoes, the lack of air-conditioning, the small showers, the intermittent internet, the narrow streets, etc... but I will miss the closeness of the group, professors included, that has come from us being thrown into the blender that is Florence...together. I certainly can't see climbing towers or mountains or going to the Mediterranean with everybody from the Haverhill campus....Lawrence is right out, lol. Anyways, here I come shower and buffalo chicken and driving...I miss driving. And, I thank whatever that I had my music with me. It helped keep me sane(it's a relative term, folks), really. Deep breath.

1 comment:

  1. James, As you have previously with your "Smells" post you have been honest and open here. I think you know me a bit better now than from our previous classes together and that I appreciate that. You and I have had numerous conversations about art and aspects of Renaissance culture while "touring" and again I have always appreciated your willingness to "say it as it is".

    One thing you haven't mentioned above is your photography. I knew you had a good eye from seeing your previous work but here I have been very impressed by what you have chosen to focus on. As I mentioned above to Nikki, the specifics of each of your individual visions consistently enlightens me; I have seen this in your work here.

    I do hope that you will continue to take chances and push yourself as I know you did here as that's when the best things happen creatively. Yes, it can be hard and uneasy to get out of our comfort zone but that's when we can break with our accepted realities and "see" those cracks in the gloss. Your photography has frequently done that for me as have our conversations. I am glad to have had this experience with you.

    ReplyDelete